Monday, August 13, 2012

Kinda Like Nomads


My theme verse, if you will, has been Ps. 18:49 - I will praise you among the nations, Papa; I will sing praises to your name… I think of it no matter where I am because when my geography changes, one thing remains: Papa and his grace. I have been reminded of that so much.
Traveling is my middle name recently; this for a few reasons, but mainly for orientation conference and visa things. Papa could not have orchestrated this at a better time. The month of August is very quiet around our part of the city. Ok, not literally, but the campus is pretty bare and several of our local friends have traveled home for break, so it is relatively quiet. Our English clubs are on break until school starts again, so our schedules look a little different. I’ve had lots of quiet time with Papa and of course lots of time to hang with Gabi, our roommate Meg Ryan and newest crew member Sara.
We are continuing to learn the language and be involved with culture, even if that means going to the market when we have nothing to buy. We finally found the vendor with spices the other day. He was so nice and helpful and I guess he liked us so much that he gave us some mint leaves for free. J I love riding the bus around town. Just about every time we ride it, someone hears us speaking English and wants to practice speaking with us. We have met some interesting people, given them fliers for English club and even had discussions. An extra project that I am excited about is creating a prayer-bussing map. It will essentially be the same idea as prayer walking, only specific to a single bus line with information of what to pray for at every stop. It will be a great way to lift up the city and be in prayer for its people and the nation’s leaders. No matter what the nation and wherever I am, it is so important to remember the president and other leaders in prayer.
We have experienced a couple different house groups lately. They are all unique in style, but similar in heart and spirit. It has been so encouraging to get to know local followers and hear how Papa is changing their lives. Most, if not all, have such a heart for reaching their own people in the city and it is so sweet to see what that looks like. (In modern group lingo, how it “fleshes out.”) The groups are intimate and honest, more like small groups back home. This allows for accountability among brothers and sisters and allows for edification; for the HS to move and convict. It’s like the most organic form of ch. and so genuine. One group has a vision of multiplying greatly. I am drawn to it and interested in Papa’s plan for it. Sitting through class and learning of indigenous communities was one thing, but to actually be a part of one is so cool. The whole time leading up to this semester abroad experience, I wanted to just be a fly on the wall in the believing groups here. Now that I am here, I am soaking it all in!
Some things you can be praying about are visas and travel logistics; that my love for the people would remain genuine and my attitude would always be that of a learner; and that I would always engage the culture, even on hard culture days. I have been encouraged to pray in a specific and intentional way for five friends who are followers, five who are not and five local people groups (uupg’s). Specifics aren’t necessary, but I ask that you partner with me and pray for those people as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment