Monday, July 2, 2012

Week One

It has been a great week of immersion into the new culture. I am continually challenged in my Russian vocabulary and have to ask how to say something about a million times. Eventually I get it and celebrate when I do get to use it while out with the locals. I am getting more and more confident in going into a restaurant or magazine and asking for something. I am recognizing more and more letters in words, especially if it is an English word spelled with Russian letters :) 
I have found sometimes that it is hard to find people who speak English, but when I do, they speak it very well. Everyone is just so friendly here that it is easy to make friends, even if they know no English at all!

We gathered for fellowship with some other expatriots this week. There are so many here right now that it would have been overwhelming for us all to meet with the local group, but it was still good to sing to father and spend some time talking with him.
The summers here are pretty chill and slow. With not a whole lot going on Gabi and I have spent a lot of time walking the campus and talking with father about the upcoming semester. He is moving here and I know he has great things planned for us! How cool it will be to see fruit from our walks too. I have met our Russian teacher for the fall. She is so sweet and kind and invited us to enjoy some sweets with her the day we visited her office. Her teaching style maybe very different from that of American teaching, so we'll see!

We have  also walked and talked with Papa around the savor and mosq. We asked a special blessing on those who gather there and that the veil would be lifted. There is a new mos. being built and after its opening this week, it will be the largest in all of Central Asia. I think it will open this Friday on "A-Day" (also the President's birthday). We have asked a special blessing for those who will go there as well.
I have met quite a few nationals this week even though most of the university students have gone home on holiday.  A couple in particular have been helping me with language. They patiently wait as I repeat words over and over and write them down. I have had some good conversations with them. The discussion questions from english lessons have helped with that and allowed us to talk about the son.
I have loved getting to know our supervising family. Their house is always bustling with excitement with four kids running around. Gabi and I have had a lot of fun spending time playing with them (and babysitting). Their oldest who is only 6 years old has the most precious attitude about the focus people group. She is so gentle with a servant heart and can translate better than some of the other workers here already. I am inspired by her genuine love for the people and willingness to serve at such a young age.
Yesterday we visited a coffee shop/bookstore owned by a sister who has been in country for quite some time (it's on Acts St. 18/3). We had great food, great coffee and great conversation. It's a great place to meet locals and share a 2-minute T. with people. Gabi and I loved it so much that we'd like to go there semi-regularly or take other univ. students there too. It is really the only place (besides the overly priced Gloria Jean's at the mall) to get an excellent coffee drink. No one really drinks coffee here except Nes-cafe.. no Starbucks.
 As I am writing all these things, I am reminded of Paul's words in his letter to Colosse: "devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that Father may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of the son, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of  every opportunity. Let you conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone" (Col. 4:2-6). I hope that you would remember those words as you talk with the father and intercede for us.

1 comment:

  1. Hello friend! I love reading everyone's blogs! Your pictures of where you live looks a lot like where Caitlyn and I are living now. I talk to my Tata (Ukrainian for Father) every day about you both. We are learning Ukrainian, not Russian. But hopefully we can understand each other a little bit when we get back :)Keep up the Good Work!

    ReplyDelete